If you go to the assignment/badge forest ecology page for this you will find three hike opportunity details for February.
I have made some changes to the course outline. Please have a look at the course outline and brows the badges/assignments pages. This will not change your term 1 marks!!!
Remember this is a flexible system to talk to me if you have any concerns or questions
Friday lunch meeting - garden planning, role allocations and getting started. FYI Assn 1 is due Jan 30, & getting involved with this counts.
Outdoor Veggies and Fruits
Project to Edmodo
Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE submit your Term 2 Projects Proposals for grading to Edmodo. Anything subitted from this point forward should be through that site. Lets be sustainable and keep it paperless. If your not signed up yet the new code is tmcens
Homey Extraction Part 3
Thank you for all who met with me today after-school. Our next mandatory meeting will be next week on Monday at lunch (this is a voted change from the calendar) when you will each present to the class and then hand in your next project proposal for Term 2. If you are unsure the format or what to include please go to the website to find the outline and rubric.
The following students MUST check in with me Thursday! Jack Beaulieu, Riley King, Kieran McGuigan, Ryan Braun, Nika Payne, Benji, and Derek Zandvliet.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO THIS WEEK:
1. SIGN UP for Career Presentations using this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aRLXxBR6g-e0eCuMqH5peknRxOTPuOkDPLvoaYqHHmE/edit?usp=sharing
- Space is Limited so don't wait!!!(These presentations are one of the four required assignments you must complete before the end of the year in either Term 2 or 3)
2. MAKE YOUR PLAN FOR JANUARY
3. UPCOMING DEADLINES this month: Calendar link: http://earland.weebly.com/calendar.html
Sign - Up for Career Presentation on Jan 30
or Choose from the Following Options Below
Option A - Farming 101
Get a sense of the local agricultural scene by:
1. Reading Urban Agriculture by David Tracey, or, take a tour of a local urban farm (ex SOLEfood, UBC farms, Loutet Farm, Terra Nova etc)
3. Come up with a list of suggestions for our garden based on what you saw at these farms
Option B - Local Speaker or Hike
Thursday January 16th., 2014 - Title: Nitrogen fixation in the boreal forest; Putting the 'N' in Nature
A free public talk for the Botany Section of Nature Vancouver.
Sunday January 19th., 2014 - Title: Geology of some buildings and monuments in downtown Vancouver.
A free event for the Vancouver Natural History Society (Nature Vancouver).
Follow this link for Details and how to Register
Option C - Greenhouse Tech
1. Attend Robotic club meetings to learn programming starting in Term 1
2. Design a system for monitoring daily greenhouse conditions
Option D - Garden Cleanup
Bring your gardening tools and work on your own time to weed the garden space adjacent to the staff parking lot. You will need to log your hours and present them to me when you are complete. This would be an excellent assignment for several students to complete together.
Option E - Sustainable Farming Assignments
See Team Sustainable Resources page for three suggested Options